Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Time to start stocking the freezer

Life is busy... So it is time to stock the freezer again








What I made up today.

*Approximately 100 meatballs.
5 ziploc bags full. (20 each)
Helpers ate about 1 bag, 2 will be used for dinner tonight.
2 bags are going in the freezer.

*4 jars of sausage gravy in the freezer

*2 bags of sausage

*2 1/3 bags of sausage/ hamburger mix with onions (For Pizzas/ Calzones)

*5 Bags of 1/2 cup buttermilk (For pancakes and Breads)
I also put some into ice cube trays to freeze , as an experiment, to see how it works.
The only reason I froze this is that we really do not drink it, we do love to cook with it though.
If my mom was here, I am sure she would help finish it off. She Loves it!
I can only buy the buttermilk in a gallon container.
It is hormone free, antibiotic free, and so worth the extra effort to freeze what I cannot currently use.
I still have alot left in the fridge, so I am going to make up a HUGE batch of silver dollar and regular pancakes and freeze those. I may even make a few chocolate chip pancakes. :o)

Emily wrote out the labels for me, so that we know what everything in the freezer is.

The hamburger is not grease laden, those are onions!
I stacked the meatballs on paperplates lined with papertowels top and bottom to get any extra grease.

It is time to start getting things stocked up and back into a routine of keeping meals preapred ahead of time.

I would really LOVE it if everyone would move to a raw vegan diet , BUT it is not going to happen!
I held out some hope at the beginning of the year when the boys made some changes, and quit smoking.
But , alas , it was in vain!
So.... here we go around the tread mill again!
I am going to make staples up ahead of time, and atleast it is much healthier than the supermarket fare. If I was unaware of how food is processed and what is IN the food, I would not cringe everytime my daughter bit into a steak off the grill.
Ignorance really is bliss!!
But unfortunately bliss can kill you!

So I am making food that is at least as safe as I can provide, and growing what we can.
I am also making sure that there are fruit staples on hand.
Our fruit staples are bananas and apples.
Bananas we buy non organic, but the apples we buy only organic ( they have to much pesticide otherwise)
We also try to go to upick and freeze fruit that is pesticide and herbicide free, or buy organic frozen berries on sale.

Items that we do not purchase organic , such as pineaplle or melons, we buy when they are on sale, or we buy them from the farmers market .

I will have to end this blog here
I wil try to blog about our healthy bread later this week.

No comments: