I had hubby pick a few sweet potatoes for me to make oven fries. My words to him were "pick a handful of sweet potatoes that I can cut up for fries". When he asked if one would do, I thought he was being silly. but NO! One is a HANDFUL as you can see!
I am so glad that we planted these! I love sweet potatoes!
Silly question but when do you plant them here? My daughter and I love them (and it's one of those Alkaline foods that fight cancer so we eat them as much as we can) so I'd love to plant some here.
I bought slips and planted only one in the ground (because my ground is so hard and too much stone still.) The rest I am using just to grow the vines for my rabbits (they love the vines.)
Dora, I did not write in my garden journal when we planted these.
The hardware store around the corner keeps things only in their particular planting seSometimes I ason, so if I see a plant there I know it is a good time to plant it.
The aces growing publication I sent to the fresh foods list also has guidelines for sweet potatoes I believe.
Sharie, Well your post got me wondering if my ONE slip did anything..hee..hee.. So, I dug up my garden today (I need a shower right now..lol..) Anyway, I was so SHOCKED and pleased to see that I had some in there. This is just wonderful. Sweet potatoes are just one of my favorites (and my daughters too.) I can't wait to cook these up (mine are a lot smaller then yours but that's ok with me. I am just happy I got some. I had 4 of them to that one slip!!!) I can't wait until next year to grow them again.
We don't have to trade. If, my bugs leave the luffa alone I'll give you some.
I am not sure what bug likes them (besides the ants that is, but I don't think they eat them) because I was told that most don't but there is something here that is eating them that's for sure.
I hope the weather can hold out and keep warm just a little longer so they grow more. Right now they are at the eating stage not sponge. Just a little longer, I keep telling myself. lol..
Hey, I am pulling off some of my Luffa in the next couple of days (the freeze should help them start to brown more.) So, after I get them off I'll have some extra seeds if you want some.
7 comments:
Silly question but when do you plant them here? My daughter and I love them (and it's one of those Alkaline foods that fight cancer so we eat them as much as we can) so I'd love to plant some here.
I bought slips and planted only one in the ground (because my ground is so hard and too much stone still.) The rest I am using just to grow the vines for my rabbits (they love the vines.)
Dora Renee' Wilkerson
Dora, I did not write in my garden journal when we planted these.
The hardware store around the corner keeps things only in their particular planting seSometimes I ason, so if I see a plant there I know it is a good time to plant it.
The aces growing publication I sent to the fresh foods list also has guidelines for sweet potatoes I believe.
Oh yeah!
The ground is HARD here too!
So do not let that discourage you!
The poatatoes and sweet potatoes both did very well!
Sharie,
Well your post got me wondering if my ONE slip did anything..hee..hee.. So, I dug up my garden today (I need a shower right now..lol..) Anyway, I was so SHOCKED and pleased to see that I had some in there. This is just wonderful.
Sweet potatoes are just one of my favorites (and my daughters too.) I can't wait to cook these up (mine are a lot smaller then yours but that's ok with me. I am just happy I got some. I had 4 of them to that one slip!!!)
I can't wait until next year to grow them again.
Dora Renee' Wilkerson
Dora, If he digs up alot more maybe we can trade a couple for some loofah. :o)
We don't have to trade. If, my bugs leave the luffa alone I'll give you some.
I am not sure what bug likes them (besides the ants that is, but I don't think they eat them) because I was told that most don't but there is something here that is eating them that's for sure.
I hope the weather can hold out and keep warm just a little longer so they grow more. Right now they are at the eating stage not sponge. Just a little longer, I keep telling myself. lol..
Dora Renee' Wilkerson
Hey, I am pulling off some of my Luffa in the next couple of days (the freeze should help them start to brown more.) So, after I get them off I'll have some extra seeds if you want some.
Post a Comment