Monday, June 30, 2008

Hubby hits big four-o

A few days ago as the girls plopped some cherries on their ice cream, my husband commented about how much he LOVED Newfoundland Cherry cake. It is traditionally served in leui of fruit cake at Christmas.
I dug through all the cookbooks and called my MIL( whom I did not reach, I hope she is not ill!)I will have to call my SIL if I can not reach her later.
Anyway after some digging I found the recipe!!!
YEAH!!!!
So Sean will be getting this for his Birthday treat today! :o)

We are also going out so he can fill up on Seafood, not as good as those fresh lobsters I know, but for now this is the best I can do.
I hope he enjoys it!

We really need to find a way to make a trip home for him, Maybe next year , during lobster Season .. eh! :o)


Well Hubby is home so off for now.
I wil try to post a picture of the cake.
*******************************************

Newfie Cherry Cake Recipe

Found here
http://rockrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/12/cherry-pound-cake.html

Newfoundland Cherry Cake
Cream together

1 ½ cups butter
2 cups sugar

Add, one at a time, beating well after each addition until light and fluffy:

3 eggs

Add
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tsp almond extract

Sift together

3 cups flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder

Fold dry ingredients into the creamed mixture alternately with

1 cup warm, undiluted evaporated milk

beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.

Fold in 1 pound halved glace cherries that have been tossed at the last minute in 1/4 cup flour.

Bake in greased and floured springform pan, tube pan or loaf pans lined with parchment paper. Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes- 1 hour depending upon the size of your pan.
Baking times vary greatly on this recipe so rely on the toothpick test to ensure that it is properly baked

No comments: