Without him I would never have an interest at all in gardening, raising chickens or canning jam or jelly , or anything else. I would not love to make home made bread, He always loved my homemade bread!!!
SO THANK YOU Dad!!
Without you who knows how many future generations will have an interest in farming, animals, gardening and nature.
I LOVE you Dad!!
I noticed that I forgot to add how he contributed to my love of nature.
We always had a garden of some sort when I was a kid, even if it was only tomatoes and cucumbers! Ocassionally we had watermelons ,potatoes, okra and other goodies, and of course with the green thumb dad has it was always the nicest looking garden, with the largest and healthiest looking fruit.
The man has a green thumb that is incredible!!!
Give him the same seed as another gardener with the same materials and his will not even look like the same plant as the other.
One time he took a dead tree and put it back in the ground, after being on the ground for a week ,in the Florida heat , and it lived and thrived!!!
He decided to replant it after a tree trimmer had told him the value of the tree.
Other than gardens and plants we always had animals!
Growing up not only did we have chickens, we had turkeys, several varieties of ducks, a variety of pigeons,rabbits , and my favorite the peacocks!!!
We had the first male for a number of years , he was beautiful and truly a pet, that could be fed by hand.
These are some of the things that fostered my love of nature.
I was looking fo a picture of the bird to upload, with no luck, but I did run across pictures of my dad as a young man, likely close to my sons age now.
I was amazed at not only how good looking he was as a young man, sorry dad we just look at our dad's as the "fixers" of all boo boos and broken things, not good loking men. LOL!
Anyway... I was noticing how many similar features my father and my son have in common.
And Today we went blackberry and blueberry picking and picked aout 1 1/2 gallons of wild blackberries and 4 cups of wild blue berries.
Along the way we found a couple intersting obsevers; a praying mantis (garden Friendly) and a caterpillar, which does not look friendly!
I am going out make some jam out of the berries this weekend.
Picture of pawpaw tree? at the bottom of the page
1 comment:
Looks like Pawpaw to me!
I have a couple pictures of the little ones I found here too-
I posted them here
http://bricoreandfamily.blogspot.com/2008_05_27_archive.html
One guy old me that the Dwarf is ediable but hardly because the fruit is so small (then a lady who helps me id said yes they are small but they pack a lot of taste!)
If, I don't find another kind here soon I'll just buy another kind myself and plant it (so these can help the ones I buy.)
Dora Renee' Wilkerson
Post a Comment